The Finished Skirt

It was made from a very small piece of cotton I got as a present. On the front it has a skinny blue satin waistband, side pockets in cut out of same fabric and a vent in the lower third. On the back it has two welt pockets. Its fully lined and has two snap fasteners for an enclosure. Total time taken including design, drawing, pattern drafting and cutting = 15 hours.

Nine Heads


For my first fashion design art class, I was taught the nine heads approach. In normal anatomical drawing, the rule is, a body is eight heads tall. In fashion drawing, a body is nine heads tall. And add 3/4 for the feet and its ten heads. So, next time some one says, ‘he/she looked at me as if I had ten heads’, you may interpret that they thought you were very tall. Or does the saying go ‘two heads’….??

As I’d already started to make my skirt, I decided to concentrate on the design of a shirt. I got my inspiration from a cape style 1950’s new look Dior dress. The first design (below left) is adapted from this with a peplum end where the skirt was. I modified this design (see below right) using colour nearest to fabric I already have.

However, the construction of the sleeves would use up too much fabric in the second design so I modified the idea one more time to make the construction easier. The chiffon sleeves are still present, but the upper chest areas is less exposed, making it more suitable for day time wear. I think I’ll go with this idea.

The Grafton Academy

Not wanting to cramp my step-daughters style, I decided NOT enroll at the Grafton Academy for a month this Summer. However, after two infuriating days looking for my muse, I decided go for it, providing I was put in a different class.

I did my best to suppress the teacher in me. After one day, diligently listening more then I spoke, I learnt an awful lot from Colin my teacher. We started off with my measurements, drafting a basic block for a pencil skirt, which I altered to my design (quite primitive but I will learn how to draw better). Then I simply cut out the pattern I made myself quite a revelation to a humble dressmaker so long dependent on commercial patterns! Two welt pockets, two side pockets in contrasting material and the rest to be completed on Thursday, 23rd June.

The mission is to use up all the fabric I have lying about the place in bags before I start college this September.

Here is my first page of drawings